Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Pursuit Of Cyclocentric Symmetry

My own cyclocentric  pursuit began with the curvy wall project.
Pinning down the ideal shape for this wall and trail was surprisingly challenging.  After days of photographing, measuring, and driving stakes in their back yard, my clients forwarded me a link to an Earthlink post by zindra it was labeled sacred geometry. The twelve pages revealed how to use circles to generate rippled edged polygons, and showed some solids made with the curvy edged faces. The idea of generating shapes from a series of circles proved very useful. The path we settled on was a series of circular sections draped across the hillside. A curved stair at the far end leads up to a more gently winding upper path that rejoins the lower path just before the beginning of the  wall. At that time the networks and wiggly polygons were more than I could take in, but I found it interesting enough to print it out to explore later. Good thing, when I dug up the pages 8 years later Earthlink was gone. My stashed printout was all that was left of zindra's earthlink post. I have enjoyed exploring the potential applications of the cyclocentric patterns, but I'm hoping the pillow forms and quilts are just a warm up for some heirloom floors or maybe even a driveway or patio. The networks are demanding, and the polygons tortured, but they stagger along filling two space like nothing I've seen short of M. C. Escher. Water jet cutting should make these patterns possible even for a floor or shower. 
first posted on LinkedIn October 20, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment